On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:51:04PM +0100, Phil Taylor wrote:
> Richard Robinson wrote:
>
> >Now that ! staffbreak is available in abcm2ps, it's a reasonable
> >assumption that I'll start using it, because it'll do good things to
> >the legibility of my source, and because I can hope that most people
> >will have access to programs that'll deal with it. I'm still wary of the
> >!decorations!, because I'm not sure how "portable" they are. But, at the
> >moment I have "tr", "D.C.", etc, in "" guitar chords, as the only
> >alternative, and that's not good either, so I may well start using
> >!decorations!. In which case the 2 different ! constructions will be
> >mixed together in the same line wherever they have to be.
>
> One thing that we have to look out for here is that abc2win not only
> puts linebreaks where marked by a !, but also ignores all other
> linebreaks, whether or not the line is continued.  I don't know if
> this is what abcm2ps does.  BarFly can now (optionally) emulate
> abc2win in this respect.  So, I think that the rule should be that
> if you use a ! to mean a linebreak anywhere you should be careful
> to put ! at the end of every line where you want a linebreak as well.

Good point ... No, abcm2ps accepts a mixture of the 2. So if I make sure
to write all linebreaks as !, Barfly can display them as intended, plus
abc2win plus abc2mps. Okay. I daresay some'll slip through, but it makes
sense. Does it "auto-detect" this, or does the user have to choose it ?
(I guess the latter ? Which would make a mixture of the 2 in different
tunes a bit annoying for your users).

But this begins to look like something I can work with ... I just
got out an update to my http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk
yesterday, that may well be the last of my public abc not to use the !
staffbreak.

Will BarFly accept these mixed with !decoration!s ? I guess not, if it's a
abc2win-compatability thing. I'm sorry, you've probably said before, I begin
to get the feeling I'm not keeping up with all of this.

--
Richard Robinson