Richard Robinson wrote:

>Now that ! staffbreak is available in abcm2ps, it's a reasonable
>assumption that I'll start using it, because it'll do good things to
>the legibility of my source, and because I can hope that most people
>will have access to programs that'll deal with it. I'm still wary of the
>!decorations!, because I'm not sure how "portable" they are. But, at the
>moment I have "tr", "D.C.", etc, in "" guitar chords, as the only
>alternative, and that's not good either, so I may well start using
>!decorations!. In which case the 2 different ! constructions will be
>mixed together in the same line wherever they have to be.

One thing that we have to look out for here is that abc2win not only
puts linebreaks where marked by a !, but also ignores all other
linebreaks, whether or not the line is continued.  I don't know if
this is what abcm2ps does.  BarFly can now (optionally) emulate
abc2win in this respect.  So, I think that the rule should be that
if you use a ! to mean a linebreak anywhere you should be careful
to put ! at the end of every line where you want a linebreak as well.

Phil Taylor