>> Let's see; if I read this correctly, then in the line:
>>
>>   ...|!dead!trill!beef|...
>>
>> the !dead! would be the decoration,  and  the  staff  break
>> would come in the middle of the bar.  Right?
>
> Good point, but generally people who are using one "system" (who
> belong to the abc2win sect for ex., or in the opposite to the
> abcm2ps sect) won't use the other one.

It might be useful to some to have the functionality provided by
both.

By far the best way to do that would be for abcm2ps to change the
character(s) it uses round those !<text>! things to something else,
like + or * (both of which are both legacy syntax and rarely used
back when they were supported).