Jack Campin writes:
| > We've had the suggestion a few times in the past that there
| > be  a way to give a length for bracketed chords, instead of
| > repeating the length for each note.  Thus [Ace]4  could  be
| > used  for  [A4c4e4].   In  one  discussion, we even had the
| > suggestion of multiplying lengths if they  are  present  in
| > both places, so [A4ce]2 would be [A8c2e2].
|
| I think it got lost within the discussion about having notes of
| differing lengths within chords.  [Ace]4 doesn't have anything
| like the same semantical problems as [A4ce] so it might be
| better to discuss it separately.

You're probably right.  Different note lengths like this  don't  work
too  well  in  staff  notation,  of  course.  I'd bet that most users
wouldn't ever combine lengths this way.  But I gave one example of  a
sort  that  you would see occasionally, with a held "drone" note that
would translate into a white note head.

| There shouldn't be any problem with any durational modifier being
| applied to a chord made up of same-length notes, should there?
|
|     {[DGB][EAc]}(3:2:4[EGB]2[DFA]/<<{[EGB]}[EGc]/
|
| for example.

Good example. I wish that chords as grace notes generally worked.  No
reason  they  shouldn't,  of  course,  but how many programs actually
implement them?

Back to the topic at hand.  That [EGB]2 in the middle shouldn't cause
any  parsing problems, for the same reason that just E2 shouldn't.  A
group of notes on one stem (also known as a  "chord"  ;-)  should  be
syntactically very much like a single note. The general syntax of abc
puts the length after a note, and applying this to a group  of  notes
really  shouldn't be a stretch.  It would probably require a bit more
code in a parser, but it would be a nice feature for people typing or
reading abc.

Some programs already half-implement this, because [AF]>[BG] works in
at least some programs.  It's curious that this would work, while the
simpler [AF]3[BG] doesn't.  I know this is true of abc2ps, because  I
use  the  former  a  lot, and I was a bit surprised when I discovered
that the latter is an error.

Maybe we should fire up another thread about the meaning of  a  chord
with  different-length  notes.   It  would  be  handy if there were a
standard way of deciding on the length of such a chord, in the  sense
of  when the next note/chord starts.  But that really should be a new
topic, so as not to derail this one.