In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:53:00AM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
>>
>> We've had the suggestion a few times in the past that there
>> be  a way to give a length for bracketed chords, instead of
>> repeating the length for each note.  Thus [Ace]4  could  be
>> used  for  [A4c4e4].   In  one  discussion, we even had the
>> suggestion of multiplying lengths if they  are  present  in
>> both places, so [A4ce]2 would be [A8c2e2].
>>
>> This is something that's obviously not logically necessary.
>> But  it  makes  sense, fits in with the overall abc syntax,
>> and would simplify typing for a lot of people. I don't have
>> a  strong  opinion on this one, though I'd certainly use it
>> if it were available.  But I've had a few messages recently
>> asking what ever became of the idea.
>
>Like you, I don't have very strong opinions here, it's not a thing
>I've found a huge need for. But uses like [A4ce]2 would seem to be
>fairly clear to understand, convenient to type, and consistent
>with the rest of the language; it's a thing I'd try if I needed to
>express such a thing.

But what does it MEAN in notation terms? You are not allowed to have
different length notes on the same stem in standard notation, so the
[A4bc] would itself have to mean A4 at stem down and [bc] at stems up.
Is this what's intended?

You only have stems up and down if you have 2 parts on the 1 stave, and
this does not fit in with abc anyway in terms of [] notation.

Unless I'm not versatile enough, it seems to me that a passage such as

Dotted Half A                   Quarter A      <--- stems up
Half F               Half F                    <--- stems down

cannot be notated in abc as [] notation.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland