Bernard Hill writes:
| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Robinson
| >Like you, I don't have very strong opinions here, it's not a thing
| >I've found a huge need for. But uses like [A4ce]2 would seem to be
| >fairly clear to understand, convenient to type, and consistent
| >with the rest of the language; it's a thing I'd try if I needed to
| >express such a thing.
|
| But what does it MEAN in notation terms? You are not allowed to have
| different length notes on the same stem in standard notation, so the
| [A4bc] would itself have to mean A4 at stem down and [bc] at stems up.
| Is this what's intended?
|
| You only have stems up and down if you have 2 parts on the 1 stave, and
| this does not fit in with abc anyway in terms of [] notation.

You obviously haven't seen enough music notation. ;-)

It's not at all unusual in some sorts of music to have both
a  solid  and an open note head on the same stem.  Standard
staff notation is obviously very limited  in  what  can  be
done  with this, but combining a quarter and a half note on
a single stem is easy, and isn't at all unusual.

With L:1/8, the notation [A4ce]2 is a case that works.  The
resulting A8 is a whole note, so it doesn't have a stem. So
the [c2e2] would be two quarter notes on the same stem, and
the  A8 would be a stemless whole note drawn directly below
them.  The simpler [A2c]2 would be  a  half-note  A  and  a
quarter-note c on a single stem. These aren't at all odd or
unusual notation.

Of course, it's very easy to come up with examples  in  abc
that  have  no representation in staff notation.  You can't
mix quarter and eighth notes on the same stem.

But in any case, this is a secondary issue. The simple case
of  [Ace]3  is easy, and some people would like it to work.
Similarly, the [ce]>[Bd] case is very useful,  and  already
works with some abc software.

In fact, are there abc programs that reject [ce]>[Bd] now?

[Sounds of massive typing of one-line test cases ...]