In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steven Bennett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Bert Van Vreckem wrote:
>
>That all said, I don't think I've ever actually *seen* any Irish music with
>a roll ornament actually placed (didn't even know there was a symbol for it
>until I read this thread...) -- as I said before, Irish players prefer to
>ornament as they see fit, so the idea of actually writing an ornament on the
>music seems like you're telling them they can't do that...  Of course, most
>of my written Irish music is tin whistle oriented -- maybe that symbol is
>used more in fiddle or pipe music.

Well it's not known in pipe music. They use a particular form of
embellishment known generically as a doubling and it takes many forms,
which are written out.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland