From: "I. Oppenheim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Jon Freeman wrote:
>
> > the dissapearing backslash would be a real headache,
>
> You mean that you have to type \\'a to get \'a ?
> That would be a bug in the script that you use to
> process the user input.

Thanks, I'd assumed it was HTML and didn't check further. At a quick glance,
my problem there appears that mySQL uses the backslash for escape sequences.
Easily resolved...

> > plus the lyrics of the song still need to display as
> > HTML.
>
> It is quite simple to write a script that converts e.g.
> \'a to &aacute; in case you would like to display the
> ABC file as HTML.

Yes, I can do that easily in both asp and in php using "replace" functions.
My worry there is that there are quite a number of possible abc escape
sequences. At the moment, with the site being very quiet, that would not be
a concern to me but it could be if the site got busier. As it is, we have
about 4000 posts to threads, some threads 50+ posts long and a few thousand
page views per week. I'd not want to be adding code to convert every post in
a thread (most of which don't contain abc) each time the thread is opened.

I suppose I could look to converting from abc to HTML when a post is made
and changing it back if someone needs to edit a post. And I could leave the
abc portion in the song database as abc (we store the abc with w: allignment
in a different field to the lyrics - they are just added as W: when an
abc/pdf file is requested).  But, in view of:

> > Before I made my suggestion, Dave had said he
> > intended to use ALT-0224 style which appears to work
> > with our abcmps/pdf output, ABCMUS and with HTML.
> > There are doubts about how it would work with other
> > programs or platforms.
>
> This will only work reliably with ABC programs that
> have implemented the charset feature from the draft
> standard. Unfortunately, I don't think that this
> feature has been implemented so far.
>
> To make a long story short: currently the only way to
> go is to use \'a style accented letters and to fix your
> scripts so that they will deal with it correctly.

I think for now, I will hope the charset feature does become implemented in
time.  It would save a few complications.

Thanks,

Jon