On 2 Jan 2004, at 08:15, Frank Nordberg wrote:

Jon Freeman wrote:

OK, so I've not long back changed folkinfo to at least enable those who
premit cookies to select a preference between letter and A4 for printing pdf
files from the site. Should I also consider allowing 9 x 12 as a paper size
or is that pretty much reserved for publications?

I don't think that should be necessary. A4 seems to be the standard paper size all over the world. USA and Canada are the only important exceptions, and they both go for US letter.

For those who are interested in further reading about the topic, try:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

A fascinating site for the true nerd. It also has a link to this site:
http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/PS.htm
This is a site dedicated to biblical numerology, wherein the author proves
quite conclusively that the dimensions of the A4 page, along with other
features of the ISO 216 stationery standard including the number 216 itself
were fortold in the Bible.

We must therefore enjoin our American cousins to forsake their pagan
paper sizes (letter, legal ledger etc.) and cleave only to the one true
stationery standard prescribed in holy scripture.

And a Happy New Year to all of you!

Phil Taylor