Keenan Pepper escreveu:
> On 2/8/06, Hudson Lacerda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>>(a) ^1/31 ^2/31 ^3/31 ... (to refer to the ET and can use several ones)
>>
>>(b) ^1/5 ^2/5 ^3/5 ... (a whole tone corresponds to 5 degrees of 31ET)
>

> Don't these conflict with the current meaning in abc2midi? I think it
> would be better to define a whole new syntax, than to make something
> that looks like the current syntax but means something different.
> Ambiguity should be avoided at all costs.

Yes, there is a conflict. My idea was to maintain the current syntax (in
the exact way I have used it so far with abcm2ps =P ), because this
seems easier to do than make a new one. The next step is to think about
possible ``whole new'' syntaxes.

[...]
>>- Other representations like scale degree number or ASCII versions of
>>Sagittal accidentals cannot be used in a pure ABC file. One can always
>>use a perl/ed script or a preprocessor (like abcpp) to convert them to
>>valid ABC code.
>

> Good point. If people always use preprocessors for microtonal music,
> then it would make sense for ABC to have a simple and unambiguous
> syntax that's not necessarily convenient, such as the present
> fraction-of-a-semitone system.
> On the other hand, this contradicts the
> basic principle that ABC is designed to be read and written by
> humans...

The statement above is intended to maintain ABC backwards compatibility.
For instance, one cannot use letters like I L M N O P R S T U for BP
scale, because letters out of a-g/A-G are user defined decorations.
Sagittal accidentals like |\ or \!!/ conflicts with barlines and other
ABC symbols. So, we have to stick with a-g and A-G for the base pitches
(plus accidentals). We need to find a simple (and spartan) way to notate
microtones.

[...]
>>For an equal tempered scale, one can:
>>
>>- Define the tuning for the base pitches C D E F G A B (pitches C and c
>>are equivalent mod N, but N doesn't have to be the 2/1 octave);
>

> I don't like that. Too confusing.

What exactly is too confusing?

[...]
>>Then, we can obtain a notation like this, for 3 steps in a whole tone
>>(e.g. 19ET), and using the ratio numerator for the steps:
>>
>>=C ^1/C ^2/C =D _1/ _2/D =C
>

> For meantone-based temperaments like 19-edo, I would very much like to
> use extended meantone notation, for example:
>
> C ^C _D D D^ _E E ^E F ^F _G G ^G _A A ^A _B B _C C

Me too. We need to include this also (as enharmonics), *beside* integer
notation.

[...]
>>To use several scales simultaneously, one can use the denominator as a
>>scale identifier (note that derivations of = have a meaning here):
>>
>>=/19C ^3/24C ^2/48C ^2/31C
>>
>>Therefore, a default scale has to be set for a section/voice of music.
>>(BTW, abcm2ps default denominator is 2 in ^/ or ^3/ accidentals.)
>

> I don't like this because it conflicts with the fraction-of-a-semitone
> notation and it's too complicated.
[...]

If we find a non-conflicting solution, I would like to have different
scales defined at a moment, for later and possibly sumultaneous use.
(Then, meantone-based ET need to be identified.)

About the fraction-of-a-semitone question, I think it will not be
frequently used, we can take advantage of this. Once a scale is defined,
that meaning of the accidentals is overriden by the new one. I would
prefer use only numbers instead of combinations of different characters.

Some possibilities:

^1c ^2c ... steps of current scale
^33.3c ^66.6c ... cents
^1/4c ... semitone fraction
^1:19c ^2:19c or ^1-19c ^2-19c ... n_steps:scale_id

Another question is related to the differences between score and midi
output. In general, is good to have independent commands for each one.
For example, I use in a piece different accidental glyphs for clarinet
and guitar, although both are playing the same scale. Guitar notation is
tied to the fingering relative to standard tuning, so I used ordinary
accidentals with arrows. This is basically the same concept to have pure
and mixed Sagittal accidentals for different instruments/goals.

--
Hudson Lacerda <http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/hfmlacerda/>

                     == THE WAR IN IRAQ COSTS ==
http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182