I am sharing my experience just to tell as to how friendships evolve some
time. I did not mention the name of the other person involved in this
anecdote. I left a blank in place of her name in order to keep privacy.
Around thirty years back, I found my dating partner through a wrong number
phone call.
I had got a new telephone connection installed. In those days, it was very
difficult to get a landline connection. A long waiting list had to be
countered. But after my meetings with some of influential people, I
eventually got it.
I had very few friends to call on.
So, I tried some wrong numbers and it was quiet by chance that I was
connected to a girl, who wanted to talk with an unknown person.
Thus, our telephonic friendship evolved through daily calls.
Finally, we decided to have a face-to-face meeting. Till that time I never
referred to my visual impairment to her.
When we were deciding the meeting place, I insisted on my residence but she
was apprehensive of it.
So we decided to meet in 'Madhuban' a Chinese restaurant near I P college.
The question arose over identity. How shall we identify each other. I told
her the colour of the shirt I'd wear and also mentioned that I'd be bringing
a stick.
She did not question as to why I needed a stick. She also told some identity
signs and we fixed the time.
Ten minutes before the scheduled time, I reached there. As I could do
nothing to find out the girl, I took a seat and as the waitor greeted me, I
asked him to wait for some time be fore I place an order.
After half an hour the girl came and took the seat in front of me. But she
did not utter a word. I knew that someone was sitting there but I too did
not say anything.
Finally, the girl broke the silence. "May I know your name?" she asked.
I recognized her voice and delightfully told "So you are twenty minutes
late. You are Miss - I suppose." I told her name for a reference.
She was amazed but we had some snacks together.
As  we said good bye, she honestly told me that this friendship cannot
continue. We can be good friends but not perfect lovers. So let us stop it
here.
But somehow, after thirty long years, we are still good friends. Whenever,
we feel like, we meet at some mutually decided place and share our thoughts
and experiences.
She has got married and me to. But she is still a emotional friend to me.

Vedprakash Sharma
http://www.musicalexpressions.myehome.in/