hi,

if you have a sighted friend who won't mind registering, and going
along with you to those gatherings, that might reduce your awkwardness
with a room full of strangers. it usually does help to an extent. i
think the awkwardness itself comes from being alone among all those
sighted pairs of eyes.
so take a friend, but not 1 who might be out to steal your thunder, or
your dates!
smiles.

good luck.