Delhi
Para-athlete stopped from boarding flight
Bindu Shajan Perappdan
Akriti Arora
New Delhi, July 19, 2017 01:42 IST
Updated: July 19, 2017 07:29 IST

[Suarna NAtional Award]

National treasure: Para-athlete Suvarna Raj being awarded the 2013
National Women Excellence Award.
Airline officials told Survana Raj it would take too long to scan her wheelchair

Medal-winning Indian para-athlete Suvarna Raj has alleged that she was
not allowed to board her Delhi-Udaipur IndiGo flight on Tuesday after
officials told her that there was “not enough time to scan her
wheelchair” and that it was “not their fault that she was wheelchair
bound”.

“I reached the domestic terminal of Indira Gandhi International
Airport at 12.45 p.m. The boarding time was 1.25 p.m. It takes just
five minutes to scan the wheelchair, but here I faced a long delay,”
Ms. Raj told The Hindu.
‘Only in India’

“While other passengers boarded the plane, I was denied entry. I
explained to them about how important it was for me to go. However,
the officials said that it was not their fault that I’m wheelchair
bound. They told me my wheelchair had to be scanned and their was no
time for that,” she said.

Ms. Raj had won two medals at the Thailand Para Table Tennis Open
2013. She was also awarded the National Women Excellence Award the
same year.

The athlete said that she never faced such issues at international
airports: “Most of the time I have to face such discrimination in my
own country”.

Ms. Raj said that she was going to Udaipur to attend a meeting on
smart cities. “I have to board an alternate flight at 7.40 a.m. on
Wednesday. The meeting is at 9.30 a.m. Sadly, I will reach there only
by 10 a.m.”
She arrived late: IndiGo

“The government should ensure that scanning machines are physically
handicapped-friendly,” she added.

Head of corporate communications at IndiGo, Ajay Jasra said: “Ms. Raj
missed her flight 6E 751, DEL-UDR, on Tuesday as she reported late to
the airport at 12.54 p.m. The counter closed at 12.44 p.m. Since she
is a para-athlete, IndiGo booked her on another flight at no
additional cost.”

“She seemed very happy and even clicked a selfie with us when we
provided her the alternate flight,” he added.
Not the first time

This is not the first time that Ms. Raj has faced such difficulties. A
month ago, the para-athlete faced harassment on the Nagpur-Nizamuddin
Garib Rath Express where she was allotted an upper berth despite
having mentioned her disability when booking her tickets.

As she could not access the berth and her request for a lower berth
was ignored by the TTE and fellow passengers, she was forced to sleep
on the floor of the train.
Source:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/para-athlete-stopped-from-boarding-flight/article19304427.ece?homepage=true

Send your feedback to:web.thehi...@thehindu.co.inCopyright© 2017, The Hindu