Rahul, we don't know about your company and to what extent they
provide you reasonable accommodation. The narrative you've shared with
us sounds an ego clash. And he won it. You said he apologized and
you've no qualms and he helped you also. Isn't it?  Why would any
scenior come to any junior's desk to cull out a particular document?
And if he/she does it, what's wrong if he/she asks you "how can I help
you"? And the argument that mobility due to disability mandates
him/her to visit your desk is self-defeating. You're not on wheelchair
afterall which brings humungous mobility challenges indoor as well as
outdoor. In India, We blind people many a times ask
office-boy/security guards to help us find a cab, reach to a eating
outlet and going to washroom and they help us out of their own
volition they are often not paid for their magnanimity. It is thus
expected of us to realize the thin line where reasonable accommodation
is provided on the part of employer and assistance/help which we seek
from colleagues is premised upon our behavior at the workplace.
Good luck

On 1/5/18, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj10...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I hope this message finds you well. At my workplace, which is a law
> firm, I recently confronted a situation which I think I could have
> dealt with in a more graceful way.
>
> One of my superiors, who is not the nicest person to put it mildly,
> displayed blatant ableism and unacceptable conduct. We had to get a
> hard copy document notarized for filing purposes. Now, when I asked
> the office boy to request this superior to come to my desk and help me
> in picking out the documents that had to be notarized, as the
> documents were at my desk, he called me and said, his voice dripping
> with condescension, "Tell me, sir, what can I do for you?"
>
> Now, I am generally known to have a calm temperament and strive to be
> unfailingly polite to everyone. However, his response really rubbed me
> the wrong way, to put it mildly. Later, when he came to talk to me and
> sensed by my facial reaction that I was not happy with him, he asked
> me what the issue was. I told him, admittedly in a very combative and
> aggressive way, that his behavior was unacceptable. What he was doing
> for me was only a reasonable accommodation which he was mandated to
> provide. He was not doing me a favour, and it was wrong for him to
> think that I was ordering him to do something for him. I said this in
> a way angry and hurt way, as I don't think it is acceptable for anyone
> to behave in this fashion.
>
> I am wondering, in hindsight, if my response was proportionate to his
> behavior or if I should have reacted in a more graceful fashion. I
> know that many disabled people face thousands of silent indignities
> and don't complain about them, because, well, it can jeopardize their
> career, they have far more pressing concerns and this is just how the
> world is. But aren't we bound to call people out for ableism, even if
> it is uncomfortable?
>
> Best,
> Rahul
>
> The list has now migrated to www.accessindia.inclusivehabitat.in