Kriya,

<snip > 1. As this is my first job, I am not sure how much demanding I should
be.
> Ex: my work would be mostly on data. Should I ask for jaws or can i simply
> use freely available nvda?

PL] This is dependent on company policy. Many companies do not allow the use of
open source software. If you can get away with using NVDA, do that. This is
because it does not cost anything and updates are easier to do. In the case of
jaws, your employer will need to pay for a license which may be an annual
exercise. This would mean that your department would need to budget for it
unless there was a fund already in place. Cororate purchase processes take long
so updates may be delayed. However, if there is a compliance challenge, get
jaws or get a policy exception. You will need to discuss with HR, your
reporting manager and perhaps the information security team because they
usually handle such challenges.

> 2. I found that the company app for employee support is not at all
> accessible. How should I approach this? Should I ask them straight away? Or
> should I wait and watch? For now I took sighted help for documentation. But
> don't know how things can work in future.
PL] Raise this to your reporting manager as well as to HR. Start with your
reporting manager and see what he says. If it is an app run by hr, raise it to
hr as well. Is there a portal where you can do whatever is needed for employee
assistance?

The inaccessibility of internal software remains a huge challenge. As long as
you can do your work, focus on that but if your work is being hampered, then
things are more serious and those can be discussed if you reach that stage.

Pranav