I do agree with you that the BCCI needs to recognise all their stakeholders and make cricket coverage accessible to them.

However, I still maintain that AIR are no saints. They do not want to buy the rights, neither are they allowing other broadcasters to buy the rights.

Further let me also tell you that AIR has no genuine interest in Public Service Broadcast. We broadcast a radio programme called "eyeway, yea hai roshni ka karwan" on the Vivid Bharti network. This programme had won the "Radio Duniya award earlier this year for the best radio programme with a social rrelevance.

In April this year, AIR revised their tarriffe which meant that the programme cost per episode increased from Rs.38000/- to Rs.85000/-. An increase that is more than double. We tried to approach the DG, AIR with a request to relook at the tarriffe for social development programmes. Not only did he not give us an appointment, he also got his marketing team to tell us that we should take up a time slot which costs less which then would have very little listenership.

The net result is that we have had to cut short the programme from 30 minutes to 15 minutes and from being a weekly programme to a twice a month programme.

Let me tell you that the programme has touched hundreds of lives over the past three years.

The truth simply is that All India Radio does not care.

Regards,

George

George Abraham
CEO