Hello,

In view of the points raised by Mr. Rajesh, I believe that denial of point 1,
“1. The mobility is fraught with inherent risks, sometimes of life.”
is almost like denying the existence of blindness and the inherent
problems related with it. Confidence and efforts for independent
mobility are always appreciable but overconfidence and pomp of efforts
are dangerous and undoubtedly in the case of Indian environment i.e.,
roads, unaware people and pathetic traffic control system.

I can give a demonstration to the best mobile person of blind
community here in the Kolkata’s one of the best places “Dalhousie”.
Where sighted people collide with each other while walking on roadside
or on pavements. One can imagine the condition of blind person roaming
here with cane…

"2. More often than not, social dignity is compromised, as you have to
fumble around."

In regard to this second point, I am of the opinion that while it is
necessary to maintain self-dignity in the cases of fumbling, the
million Rupees question is that why should I put myself in the
vulnerability zone if I have availability of sighted assistance? And,
according to me, there is no harm to my dignity holding the hand of
escort.

In the eight years of my blindness, several times I am scarcely saved
on roads due to the sighted assistance from rash driving of bikers,
buses, rickshaws, cyclors and load carriers’ indifferent movement. And
this can be termed as another viewpoint that already I am having one
physical disability and don’t have any wish to acquire another one…

On 9/22/11, Srinivasu Chakravarthula <sriniv...@srinivasu.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Honestly, I got this curiosity with recent thread raised by Rajesh.
>
> I know, there area lot of members in the group, who widely travel and I see
> them traveling all alone. I even see people like Jean, who never ask for
> help at the venues. I am curious how would people with total blindness can
> manage to be alone at conferences etc.Also, any of you come across tips to
> network with the people in the events.I don't consider myself to answer any
> of the above, although I travel a lot, but I could fairly see. So I don't
> think, this would be of any problem to people with low vision.
>
> Any tips would also help me to share with our students at NAB.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> -Srinivasu
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Srinivasu Chakravarthula
> Mobile: +91 990 081 0881
> Website: http://www.srinivasu.org | http://www.learnaccessibility.org
> Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VasuTweets
> Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm

Thanks and regards
                   Himanshu Sahu
Reach: 09051055000