Mahesh:

Thanks for bringing this up.  What we know as the "independent living movement"
began in the US and later spread to Europe and elsewhere.  It was a way for
people with disabilities to reject their identity as medical mistakes and
reinvent themselves as a minority group experiencing exclusion based on an
artificial social construct.  In doing this many of the typical American
philosophies of self reliance and individuality became a part of the thinking
and actions disabled people took to express their independence.  By the way,
these values of self sufficiency and so forth are a direct result of how the US
was settled and were developed in order to survive.  I have crossed the US by
road and train many times but I am still astonished at how those people lived
in all that opened land with no one to depend on but themselves.  These values
are still in practice today and became a part of what we know as the
independent living movement.

As with most social movements the ways in which independence of disabled people
was expressed took on the most extreme forms.  Part of it was experimentation
and some was the realization that things could be a lot better than in the
past.  I remember working in independent living centers in the late 1980's and
there was always this discussion about why immigrants with disabilities did not
seek services from these centers.  The movement leaders discovered that in most
of the world, people, including the disabled, have no desire to live alone in
an apartment as Americans did and that people in the rest of the world viewed
things in a more interdependent way.
As a result of the pressure from immigrant communities telling the centers that
living alone ran counter to their cultural values, things have begun to move
back to a more workable stance which is a bit more tolerant of diverse views on
what independence means and also tolerance for the choices people make in their
personal lives.
There is still a long way to go to develop an understanding of how
interdependence works in different societies.  Although many of the most
visible and vocal blind groups in the US still hold with the notion of
individuality as the ultimate expression of their independence, there are
increasing numbers of blind people who are looking for more interdependence in
their lives and are looking outside of American culture to find it.

The independence philosophies developed in the west are very much applicable in
countries like India and can be adapted to work within Indian culture but only
with appropriate training and family support.  As with anything, look at the
menu, take what you want and leave the rest.  But do it in a way that maximizes
self determination within your particular circumstances and don't assume that
something can't or shouldn't be done.  It's the absolutes that get us into
trouble.
Jean

Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm