EDate() function is good for adding months/years to a given date, it
would not support addition of days to a given date. For example, it
would not yield correct result if I wish to determine the days 45 days
after today. The Date() function suggested by Chetan comes in handy in
such situations:

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)+45)

Also, the Date() function returns a date value, so you don't need a
format conversion.