From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf
Of Srinivasu Chakravarthula
Sent: 21 January 2013 15:07
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Braille stickers in trains for visually-challenged

If my guess is correct, probably coach numbers at the doors and seat /
berth numbers.

Best,
-Srinivasu

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM, BHAVESH <charmingbhav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am curious to know what information will be provided using those
> braile stickers.
>
> On 1/21/13, Ajeesh Thomas <ajeeshthoma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > New Delhi, Jan 20:
> >
> > In a first initiative of its kind, Indian Railways is likely to
> > introduce Braille stickers in trains for visually-challenged
> > passengers to facilitate their travel.
> >
> > "We are planning to provide Braille stickers inside the coaches for
> > assisting visually impaired passengers," a senior Railway Ministry
> > official said.
> >
> > "We are in the process of finalising details of introducing Braille
> > stickers. This is the first time that Indian Railways is exploring
> > such initiative," the official added.
> >
> > The initiative is likely to be announced in the Rail Budget 2013-14, he
> > said.
> >
> > Braille is a writing system which enables visually challenged and
> > partially sighted people to read and write through touch.
> >
> > Recognising the needs of physically challenged persons, the Railways
> > has also decided to provide special arrangements in all mail and
> > express trains to facilitate their travel.
> >
> > "Railways is manufacturing coaches with specially designed
> > compartments and toilets for passengers with disabilities. Now second
> > class luggage room coaches are being modified to facilitate boarding
> > of trains by differently abled travellers," he said.
> >
> > All mail and express trains with modified coaches, known as SLRD
> > (second class luggage rake for disabled) coaches, will have reserved
> > seats for physically challenged persons, official said.
> >
> > Doors of SLRD coaches are being widened to facilitate the boarding of
> > passengers using wheel-chairs.
> >
> > Railways had made a commitment to a parliamentary committee to make
> > special provision for facilitating train boarding for physically
> > challenged passengers.
> >
> > There are total four seats in unreserved category in SLRD coaches and
> > now these have been earmarked exclusively for the physically
> > challenged passengers and their escorts.
> >
> > "Till date approximately 2,300 such coaches have been manufactured and
> > at least one SLRD is provided in almost every mail and express train.
> > Similarly Garib Rath trains have been provided with AC compartment in
> > power cars for differently abled passengers," he said.
> >
> > Source:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/logistics/trains-to
-have-braille-stickers-for-visuallychallenged/article4325651.ece
> > From an other mailing list, Insight-friends.
> >
> > --
> > With warm regards,
> >
> > Ajeesh Thomas,
> >
> > Banglore,
> > Mob: 08861329916, Ph: 04742586821, Office: 08042823636
> > skipe: ajeeshthomas86
> >
> > "Never give up on what you really want to do.
> > The person with big dreams is
> > more powerful than one with all the facts."
> >

> > Register at the dedicated AccessIndia list for discussing accessibility
> of
> > mobile phones / Tabs on:

ia.org.in

> > Search for old postings at:
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a message to
> > accessindia-requ...@accessindia.org.in
> > with the subject unsubscribe.

> please
> > visit the list home page at

> with best regards,
> Bhavesh.
> Message composed on Dell vostro1440, using jaws for windows screen reader.

ia.org.in

Srinivasu Chakravarthula - Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/VasuTweets
Website: http://www.srinivasu.org | http://www.learnaccessibility.org

Let's create an inclusive web!