Dear Pranavji,
  Yes I do agree with you   to design programs for blind beggars but I am
not sure whether they will like it since there potential salaries will be
much lower than their daily begging income. Of course, employment comes with
higher status and dignity but I doubt they care.  In answer to your quote:
We assigned multiple tasks which are below.
Let me tell you that we are a packaging company specialized in corrugated
and solid board packaging. We are a moderately bigger company.
1: counting. As we are in to retail and consumer product packaging, we made
them to count10, 25, 50 and 100 boxes after they are made, tie a bundle and
transport them. Blind people completely failed in both counting and tying or
sealing a bundle of boxes and packing them to be transported. We trained
blind people for so many days but still they   cannot tie a bundle and also
counting is inaccurate. For example, when we checked after these people
performed the job, each bundle either had 6 or 7 extra or less. This will
not only   spoil our name with our prestigious customers who include farma,
food and other retail industries but also make us lose our income. Already
paper industry has sleek margins.
My aim is to provide employment to uneducated and partially educated
disabled people who is not limited to blind but I guess they don't
understand our efforts.  I can save 40% of our profits if I employ sited or
nondisabled people but profits are secondary for us.
Another area is responsibility. Based on my experience, blind people will
never take lead or responsibility in doing the work.  Unless we continuously
tell them to do   the regular work, they will not start doing the regular
assigned work. For example   our work day starts at 9 AM. I went to office
late at 11 and ask why are you just sitting without work? My blind employees
reply: "sir, you did not tell us anything."  Are we still waiting for
someone to tell us our work or take lead in asking?  When I compare my
nondisabled employees, they come to work, ask us about what has to be done
and they will get to work. So why not blind people do the same? This is
because they are lazy. And want free money. When we go in to competitive
market for selling our brand, no one cares whether you are employing
disabled or nondisabled people but customers only care high quality and
cheaper pricing. But I believe these people do not understand that.  Another
area of concern is discipline. I never see my nondisabled people taking
frequent leaves without intimation but blind people do all the time. They
don't care to inform us if they are not coming. They show many  silly
reasons like  have to go to  hostile to collect  free things like soap and
paste  even after getting married and  not living in hostel's or  go to
collect pension and what not.   They also site: "I have to take my blind
wife to her previous hostel to collect free stuff" I don't understand why
government hostels provide free things when they are working and not living
in the hostels.  We as entrepreneurs expect people to come to work when they
sign up and we plan accordingly. I lost my credibility with my customers
due to delay in delivering orders because of their inefficient work and also
irregular and late attendance.  If we ask them why you are delayed, blind
people say:  "my mother is not well to put me on the bus" If blind people do
like this, when are we going to get inclusive opportunities? When are we
going to prove that we are also the contributors of our economy and need
social status? I guess NGO's have to figure this out. Problem for employment
is accommodation. Blind people expect us to provide employment and also free
accommodation.  Is this demand possible? Maybe NGO's should figure how to
help overcome this. Guys, please remember, we have ample opportunities if we
can prove. Before blaming the society for not giving us the opportunity, we
have to understand the root cause of the problem which lies with us. For
example, I can recruit more than 30 disabled people if any NGO can identify
and train them in basic skills and we can train about our work roles.  Let
me remind you all that we all were very much upset when the chief of NIVH
Chennai spoke negatively about blind people. I do understand that given his
role, duties and exposure, he can't talk in a public setting but    some of
his comments are actually right. I believe you all know this and at least
your heart says so. For example, if once we help blind people out of our
way, they expect the same thing every day in the work or outside work.  If
out of sympathy, I don't cut salary for late attendance for one month, they
continuously repeat the same thing and   expect us to not cut the salary.
They never try to be independent.  Another thing is demanding nature.  I see
this all the time. Blind people demand for extra privileges just because
they are blind not qualified enough. Think about it. If blind people want,
there is nothing we can't achieve. We have many role models who have
achieved great milestones. Let me remind you all that we pay higher salaries
than the industry average.  We are also working on a micro business model
through which we would like to work with disabled entrepreneurs, women
entrepreneurs', cooperative groups and other miner organizations. We would
like to guide,  mentor and fund their business units. We can't recruit
everyone due to optimal foot print (maximum number of people per plant) so
this will be a great opportunity for blind entrepreneurs to show their
skills even without funding.
 Another example: We have a two ply corrugation production line on which we
have a technical operator. We need two helpers to pick up the two ply
corrugated boards coming out of the machine and properly stack them. Even
here, blind people failed very badly. This work is completely comfortable
and accessible. They know where the sheets fall and they don't even have to
search for sheets. Sheets will come to their hand. Given extensive training,
they failed. I am not sure where blind people can be successful if they
can't do these simple tasks.
Another example: we assigned them pasting operation which is really easy
job. Basically, two ply corrugated board will be passed through the pasting
and gluing machine   and the machine will apply glue. Then the person other
side should take the board and stick top layer of paper to make it three ply
or five ply.  Here we trained blind person to pass the board in to the
machine, blind people to pick up the sheet and stick top layer and another
person to properly stack the pasted sheets for drying. This is very much
accessible and easy job but blind people failed other than one girl who is
wonderful! She handles our pasting operation, packaging operation and also
cutting operations. Paper comes in reams and role form and we use automatic
cutter to cut paper in to multiple sizes. So most blind people failed   in
tying cut sheets in to different bundles and also pick up the cut sheets
from the machine. But this blind girl is amazing. She does the work without
any issue. She knows when the machine is not properly cutting in to
appropriate size.   She can handle the machine with no problem. She knows
where each part of the machine is located and how to handle.  She has been
working with us for about a year now and we are happy with her performance.
I can understand blind people not knowing counting if they are not educated
but most people who failed are from PG and M.A and graduation. I really
don't understand how these people are passing professional degrees without
knowing basic counting. I hope this answers the kind of work and sources of
failure.  Please note, all my observations and comments are based on our
real experiences and not reflective of the larger community in general.