International Conference “From Exclusion to Empowerment - The Role of
Information and Communication Technologies for Persons with Disabilities”
picture_ndl_event_rec.jpg
<http://en.unesco.org/file/picturendleventrecjpg-17>
Deaf School Sri Lanka CC BY-NC-ND 2.0
© UNESCO
When, local time:
Monday, 24 November 2014 - 9:00am to Wednesday, 26 November 2014 - 6:00pm
Where:
India, New Delhi
Type of Event:
Category 4- International Congress
Contact:
Irmgarda Kasinskaite-Buddeberg (i.kasinska...@unesco.org)

With a view to empower persons with disabilities and inclusion of
disability issues into the sustainable development agenda in Member States,
UNESCO, in close cooperation with international, regional and national
partners, is organizing an international conference entitled “From
Exclusion to Empowerment: The Role of Information and Communication
Technologies for Persons with Disabilities” in New Delhi, India from 24 to
26 November 2014.
The major objective of the event is to promote the human rights and
fundamental freedoms of persons with disabilities and to encourage all
stakeholders to take concrete measures for the empowerment of persons with
disabilities through the effective application of ICTs.

As recognized by the UNCRPD, women and girls are often at greater risk,
both within and outside of home for violence, injury, abuse, neglect or
negligent treatment, maltreatment and exploitation. It is, therefore,
crucial to integrate gender equality in all efforts to promote the full
enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms by persons with
disabilities, including in the current Conference.

The International Conference programme of three days, consists of plenary
sessions and panel discussions (International conference), a film festival
– ‘We Care’ –film screenings and the exhibition on innovative ICT solutions
as well as one or several workshops for pre-selected participants and media
and supporting events.

Major organizers of the international event:

UNESCO in co-operation
with the Government of India,

Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Department of Disability Affairs

and Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Department of University and Higher Education
and Indian National Commission
for Cooperation with UNESCO

In close partnership with Brotherhood,
We Care Filmfest, United Nations Information
Centre for India and Bhutan

Participants:

More than 500 international, regional and national participants are
expected from around the world, including:

• High-level representatives of the Government of India;
• Representatives of Ministries and Departments of Education, Information
and Communications, Social Affairs and Health, Women and Child Development;
• Policy and decision makers, international organization representatives;
• Disabled peoples’ organizations, civil society and teacher training
institutes;
• Representatives of ICT, media and film industry;
• Information and media professionals and other stakeholders.

Working Language of the event is English.
Links:
Agenda <http://www.unesco-ci.org/ict-pwd/node/18>
Concept Note
<http://www.unesco-ci.org/ict-pwd/images/ND%2024-26%20November%202014%20-%20Concept%20paper.pdf>
UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
<http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml>
Access for people with disabilities
<http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/access-to-knowledge/access-for-people-with-disabilities/>
From Exclusion to Empowerment - The Role of Information and Communication
Technologies for Persons with Disabilities
<http://www.unesco-ci.org/ict-pwd/>
warm regards,
yogesh chhabra