http://www.techworm.net/2016/11/researchers-use-drones-hijack-philips-hue-smart-lights.html
    > describes how the use of multi-party symmetric key systems weakens even
    > minimal security guarantees in a IOT system.  In this article, its
    > noted that the HUE lights have firmware that's signed/encrypted by a
    > symmetric key (which - by definition then needs to be included in every
    > device to decrypt/verify the firmware), and that the attackers were
    > able to extract the key from a lightbulb with relative ease; craft
    > their own firmware and cause the lightbulbs to load it in a chain
    > reaction.

I had read all about this, and I wondered how they had gotten the bogus
firmware accepted; I thought that this was the "bug", but I hadn't read (or I
had missed) that the firmware was symmetric signed.  That's really really dumb.

    > So I'd turn this around and ask for a offer of proof that we can find a
    > way to do this safely *BEFORE* having the IETF invest time and
    > resources in the work.  I don't expect a fully fleshed out solution,
    > but I haven't seen even a hint that anyone knows how to mitigate the
    > risks.

I see your point.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-