Flat file - Think text file with a long list of users separated by hard
returns in the document. Something you could create with Notepad.

Clyde

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Jeremy [mailto:mjeremy@;itsphoenix.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 8:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] AD user sync to flat file

I hate to ask but what is a flat file?

--Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:ActiveDir-owner@;mail.activedir.org] On Behalf Of Andy Grafton
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 8:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] AD user sync to flat file

This is one of those "does anyone know a product which can do this...?"
questions.  Apologies.

Have an Active Directory (single domain) with about 65,000 users.

Have a personnel system which produces a flat file consisting of [only]
usernames.

Once a week, our customer wants to run a utility which will perform a
very simple "synchronisation" of the users in the Active Directory with
those listed in the flat file.

The rules...
If the user is in the flat file and the directory, do nothing. If the
user is in the flat file but not the directory, create it in the
directory [in a default location]. If the user is in the directory, but
not the flat file, delete it from the directory.

My immediate response is that you should do this with a script of some
sort, but I was wondering if anyone has located a product can do such
simple things?  If its relatively inexpensive, then its not worth
spending programming hours on reinventing the wheel.

I had a look at NetIQ, Fastlane and iPlanet's offerings, but they are
all far too heavyweight to even consider.

Don't ask why the flat file...  The personnel system is not connected to
anything and the data travels by CD and sneaker-net.

Thanks,

Andy