I'm seeking some feedback regarding the use of the new 2003 admin. tools against a Windows 2000 only directory. I implemented these tools many moons ago on an internal, production 2000 forest on both XP and Server 2003 clients and have experienced no significant (insurmountable) issues. Coincidentally enough, I recently offered this as an alternative *potential* solution in the public newsgroups for those administering 2000 directories who wish to take advantage of the newer features such as "Saved queries" and "Multiple object edit" (to name but a few) ... quite honestly, that's the main reason for soliciting your feedback.

I'm considering automating the necessary directory modifications such that those customers (specifically, one of mine) wishing to use the new features provided by the uplevel ADMINPAK are able to do so without going through the convoluted steps necessary to enable certain components and gaining these features without fully forest prepping their existing directory (NOTE - doing so is, IMHO, a satisfactory approach but I'm certain that the myth of "Extending a Windows 2000 schema is a bad, bad thing" is likely to raise its head ... thus the reasoning behind making ONLY the necessary directory modifications).

What I'm looking for are opinions/technical commentary or actual experience of doing so in production or test environments other than my own.

I've exhaustively tested this including proceeding with a full Windows 2003 forest prep in order to ensure that the modifications made to the base 2000 schema were NOT prohibitive to a future 2003 upgrade ... they weren't (this did require some minor modifications prior to executing the forest prep though).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and/or experiences.

Dean

--
Dean Wells
MSEtechnology