Mark,

If you mean direct, do they have to be able to communicate with it
one-on-one.... Hmmmm.  I'm not aware of a method to proxy, as RID
requests must be made to the RID master, Infrastructure updates won't be
a problem, PDC emulator might be an issue.

If you're replicating (I assume that the DC is getting all AD updates as
well as the SYSVOL keeping in synch with the rest of the DC's?) it's not
easy to separate the functions.  IOW, to my knowledge, you're either
replicating or you aren't.  I don't know of a way to distinguish between
AD and file replication at the DC's level.  And, if you orphan a DC -
it's not really part of the domain anymore.  It must communicate with
the domain or literally die.

Clearly, you can change the schedule (frequency, time of day, etc.) -
and it wouldn't surprise me to have someone pop up here (Robbie, Dean,
Joe, Todd, Gil, etc.) and say - 'Sure you can do this, you can do
this....'  Interesting topic, I'm not sure it's going to buy you much,
or that it's even really possible.

SMTP is always an option....

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory