Complex topics often require lengthy answers and since little background
information was provided in the initial question, I figured I'd try and
cover all bases.

As for ensuring a connection to the RID and PDC FSMOs ... I certainly agree
(based on theory alone and having not tested the alternative) ensuring a
connection to the PDC is a priority. I do believe, however, with the
necessary effort, this requirement could too be eliminated albeit with some
obvious sacrifices ... a good number of which are highly undesirable. The
scenario in question would dictate the choice, i.e. - the lesser of two
evils.

The requirement for the RID FSMO is easily mitigated (though in this
particular case it would seem to be something of an all or nothing). To be
clear, it's certainly not something I would recommend nor have I recommended
or implemented it in production myself but, as you well know, sometimes
scenarios dictate undesirable solutions. Increasing the RID pool size to an
arbitrary number deemed sufficient to handle the origination of security
principals on that one DC alone would remove the direct connectivity
requirement between the isolated DC and the RID FSMO. Since RIDs have a
potential scope of 2^30, the size of isolated DC's RID pool can be extreme
to say the least ... it would require temporary connectivity in order to
obtain the original pool or the temporary transfer of the RID FSMO to a DC
whose connectivity is common to both the isolated DC and those housing the
FSMOs.

An interesting topic indeed and one that I personally found useful and
thought provoking.

Dean

--
Dean Wells