I've seen third party "recovery" consoles that mimic tombstone reanimation. They do this by maintaining a recent copy of all the attributes of all user/group objects. As far as specific products, why not try something simple like making an LDIFDE or CSVDE dump of your user and group objects part of a nightly system state backup? The biggest issue with recovering SIDs is making sure your tombstone lifetime is sufficiently long enough to cover a deletion that occurred "a long time ago".

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shawn Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 2:01 PM
Subject: [ActiveDir] Restore AD

Why is it that MS hasn't added a deleted Security Principal retention for AD much like Exchange Server's deleted mailbox retention? Wouldn't that greatly simply recovering from small mishaps? I am not talking about the tombstone feature with Windows 2003 AD where you still have to manually recover Group Membership when recovering an account, but something actually intelligent and useful that would restore Group Membership when restoring accounts. Shit, recover a Group from Deleted Security Principal retention and have it add the back links to the memberof attribute of the users that were members of the Group before the Group was deleted. Recover an OU and it restores Security Principals and Members and Memberof attributes of all Security Principals within the OU. Anybody heard of something like this coming down the pike?

Shawn Hayes
MCSE (2003, 2000, NT) Messaging
Systems Engineer
City of Virginia Beach