Some of that is symantics. If you have only one Enterprise admin account, and only one person who knows the credentials for that account, then there are some large organizational risks if something happens to that one person.

If you have only one Enterprise admin account, but you have 2 or 3 or 5 people who know the credentials on that account, then you have multiple Enterprise admins. Worse, everything that happens is within the security context of that one account, so you really can't have an audit trail since any one of the 2/3/5 people could have been the one logged in.

You also have to consider that the forest is the security boundary, and that any of your domain admins can potentially elevate their permissions to own the forest. Not that it's easy, but it's not impossible either.

Hunter

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Francis Ouellet
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 1:15 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Some thoughts on securing sensitive accounts....

 " Then you have your actual Enterprise Admins and that should be a small group, maybe 2-5 people depending on your size (I worked on a team of 3 people and supervisor for a 250,000 user deployment). "

So I'm assuming that you have more than 1 Enterprise admin in your root domain? Isn't that agains't all the white papers out there stating that you shouldn't have more than one ent. admin. in your forest and all other admins should be domain admins in their own respective domain? Or did you use enterprise admin as a generic term?

Thanks,
Francis