Any proper maintenance plan has a backout plan and a recovery plan, so I am
preparing for the possibility of an unexpected problem.  If I'm pulled into
a dark room because something goes wrong then I should feel confident I'll
leave that room with my hide mostly intact; it may be slightly singed, but I
can live with that.  If management isn't the reasonable type then that's a
different issue.

If your philosophy is to take every proactive measure ahead of time
possible, then that's fine.  I just don't see the point with regards to FSMO
roles when the recovery action is a relatively trivial process.  This is
obviously a matter of personal preference so I'm not trying to convince
others to change.  I just found the concept unusual so I thought I'd share.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx