I've worked for several banks and have never, ever not seen required password changes.   In fact the reverse problem often occurs.  Bank systems do not use the same authentication model (mainframe, domain, application specific) and require password changes on different cycles.  Personnel often have the proverbial post-it pad in their desk drawer with written account names and passwords.

I'm not a SharePoint expert and so will leave others to comment but I'd be very surprised if a non-domain LDAP can be used....  (guess that could be construed as a comment, but it's really just reasoned speculation).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ramon Linan
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:45 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] SHAREPOINT AND EXTERNAL LDAP

HI,

I have a SharePoint site for a client, it is driving me crazy because the sales people are telling me that the users for this site, cant have their password expiring. The client is a government agency, so I don't want to be responsible for any information being stolen.

How big of a security risk is not having password expiring? it seems  to me like security 101, but the sales guy is saying that banks don't ask you to change your password every X day, good point.

Something I was thinking is having SharePoint authenticating with their LDAP server, is this possible to do? can anybody point to a url on how to do this?

thanks

Rezuma