I suspect this thread is creeping ever-so-close to the heralded
"beaten-to-death" status, but let me add a line of thought here that I
alluded to earlier.

Deji, as I mentioned, there is nothing technically hard in allowing 2003 or
XP systems to edit Administrative Template policy for Vista machines. The
ADMX is, in simplified terms, ADM in XML. So, if enough people wanted it, I
or someone could probably write a parser that would take all the ADMXs and
convert them back to ADM and Microsoft wouldn't have to do a thing about it,
because ADMs are just ADMs. However, let's say I did that. Vista doesn't
just add new Administrative Template settings. It also adds new Client Side
Extensions built on new OS capabilities. So, backporting ADMXs only now
suddenly makes administration of Group Policy more complex (regardless of
where you do it), because now you've got GPOs that are meant for XP and 2003
being administered from those platforms, you've got GPOs meant for Vista,
administered from Vista and showing all the new functionality and then GPOs
with some Vista functionality (i.e backported ADMXs) but not all
administered from downlevel platforms . I hope you would agree, that this
would be extremely confusing. Ok, so now lets take the next logical and say
to Microsoft, "hey Microsoft, you need to backport all that new Vista GP
stuff to XP and 2003 because we want to manage it from there". Well, a lot
of that new functionality in GP is built on core OS components that don't
exist or are updated for Vista. So now, instead of just backporting a bunch
of XML files, you've also got to backport those Client Side Extensions and
the core OS functionality they are dependent upon. So now, instead of Vista
shipping in November of 2006, it gets pushed to 2010, because, hey, Group
Policy isn't the only area that wants the new stuff on the old platforms, so
does XYZ feature. And suddenly, we all get angry at MS for never shipping
their stuff they keep promising.

I would submit that this is just a hard one to please everyone with, and
they are taking the best possible approach to be able to ship a new OS to
the umpteen-million people that use it. I am very cognizant of the fact
folks like Susan supports in the SBS world, or just regular customers
sometimes don't do things optimally. And, they will absolutely have to deal
with this issue and likely many others as Vista gets deployed. I think the
best thing we, as technology professionals in our various expertises, can do
is to help folks understand what the best practices are and explain to them
what happens when they don't follow those, so at least they know what to
expect.

Darren