I'd totally agree with you Laura.  Look at how Apple has approached the
backwards compatibility issue with Mac OS X.  Or rather, how they haven't.
Want to stay compatible with an older version?  Stay on that version.  Pretty
simple.  I'm not saying that is 100% the right way to go, but they avoid a lot
of problems that way.  Out of the 50 million lines of code in Vista, I'm sure
at least half of that is to provide backwards compatibility.  In any event,
like you say, Laura, there's no point editing Vista GPOs if you're not running
Vista.  And if you need to set up Vista policy, then why not run on it yourself
and just do the editing from there?  Or is this the case of the tech who says,
"I don't need no stinkin' eye candy, you can't make me run it"?

One other thing that I really hate to hear is a complaint about how something
works, with the comment that Microsoft "forces people to do things they way
Microsoft wants people to do them."  That's a pretty naïve comment - I hear it
more from kids on the public newsgroups though.  I'm surprised hearing it in
the context of not logging into a DC to edit GPOs though.  Are there any MVPs
here who really think logging into a DC for GPO editing (or for anything else
that can be done remotely, for that matter) is a good practice?  So if
Microsoft did force people to use a workstation to do configuration tasks such
as GPO editing, that would be enforcement of what most experts agree is best
practice - yet they don't force this.  The issue is that they released Vista
[client] before Server is out, and they enhanced things in Vista beyond the
previous OS (I say hooray for them), and there has not been a new release of
any prior OS service pack since Vista's release.  In fact, Vista is barely out
there now.  But IMHO, Microsoft does not come up with ways to do things,
generally, that are some attempt to force people into doing things in some
manner that has, as their ultimate goal, to 'try and take over the world.' [1]
Rather, they try to adhere to best practices and most requested features in
their software design, when they can, as determined by various industry experts
- not by some idea that they can make people do this or that if they cut this
feature.  At least, I believe this to be the case most of the time.

[1] if you think that, maybe you watched too much Pinky and the Brain

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development
Applebee's International, Inc.
4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819
"I love the smell of red herrings in the morning" - anonymous