Win23 AD
Machines: ThinkCentre 8215.

Vista Enterprise: So far my 4 test machines in my lab have been loosing the CD/DVD Rom drives. Have to delete registry and restart machines each time. This is also occurring at home. Also half of my network printers do not work. No Vista print drivers on the server yet. Other than that, GPO is locking down the desktop pretty good. Control Panel items all removed, IE 7 is locked down, etc.

-Z.V.

Rich Milburn wrote:
Am I the only one who remembers the teeth-pulling necessary to get
people to make the move to XP?  Or to Win2K?  Both of which were a
fairly big leap.  XP was seen as eye candy with very little benefit over
Win2K (but with licensing and deployment and compatibility problems that
could be avoided by staying "on a perfectly good platform").  I had to
write up several papers on what was different and better in XP than in
Win2K (not where I work now, just for the record...)  I think in 2 years
we're going to see a similar situation.  The more IT types dig into
Vista, and see solutions to problems that either have no solution in XP,
or require workarounds and make-do's (is that a word?), the more people
will start to see the point in upgrading.  I think the same goes for
Longhorn.  So... this is just my opinion, but I think that one would be
remiss in not digging into Vista now to see if there's more than just
eye candy and extensive hardware requirements...

So far, in my experience, I've been pretty surprised at the things that
will run on Vista.  Conversely, there are a few things we have that
still do not work on XP.  We use Win2K VMs for those handful of things.

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development
Applebee's International, Inc.
4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819