Rachel,

Here’s a link to our “policy on policies” regarding policy approval and
distribution:
http://public.wsu.edu/~forms/HTML/EPM/EP5_Policy_Approval_and_Distribution.htm

I think one of the main sticking points is that not all administrative
departments regularly review their published policies and procedures for needed
updates, which is a requirement of this policy.  My department, which publishes
the administrative policy/procedure manuals, is very small (just two employees)
with additional responsibilities for forms design/distribution and records
management.  When time permits we try to assist by contacting departments to
review old existing policies, but with hundreds of sections in our manuals, we
rely on the departments to notify us when changes are needed.

Hope this helps —
Deb

Deb Bartlett
Director
Office of Procedures, Records, and Forms
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-1225
Phone: 509-335-2004
Fax:  509-335-3969