Yes, reverse proxies are king :) On my hosting servers I
have a light proxy fronting 3 modperl servers on a single
box (with a total of about 100 vhosts) and one tomcat
server(on the same box, haha). Its a pretty nice
configuration that really has done us well over the last 5+
years.

As far as my java app, its not that modperl could -not- do
it, but when we are selling hundreds of shrinkwrapped units
a month modperl becomes quickly unsupportable for me, there
are just too many variables once it gets into the field.
Where does that module go, whats that path to it, is there a
version conflict, what stupid thing did microsoft do now(we
deploy on windows) etc etc etc.

With the Java I can install tomcat, drop in a new server.xml
and plop in a .war file. HUP the server and I have a locally
installed system that only phones home for registration and
serialization purposes. If it doesnt find the signature in
the conf file it knows its a local machine, not a public
server, so its feature set reduces. That gives me a 100%
identical codebase in a single account/single box local
server and the public server that consists of four machines
and hundreds or thousands of accounts.

That ability to say 'this is my app, make it run now' is the
real attraction. Not being able to grok the source is a
requirement as well. Additionally, I can go multi-platform
with just a new install tool since everything works out of
the box without compiling. It really is incredibly seamless
and after more years modperling then I can count I've never
been able to get it that clean in deployment.

Like I said, nothing you can't DO with modperl but its just
a lot HARDER to do it and there are enough dragons to slay,
no need to add more to the mix.

John-