On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:00:26PM -0600, Andy Lester wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 9:50 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Anyone doing anything to counter this misconception?
>>
>>  http://www.nautis.com/2007/08/17/cms-review-bricolage/
>>
>> Note that blog comments that say, "you're wrong!" are more harmful than
>> helpful. I mean is there a report or something with real data to show
>> otherwise?
>
> He's just making it up: "For all of its strengths, perl seems to be going
> the way of the dinosaur. Most new, open source talent is being funneled
> into Java, PHP, Ruby, and Python."  That second sentence is a guess at
> best.
>
> If anyone wants to write an opposing editorial/article, I'd be glad to post
> it up on perlbuzz.com.

I may be speaking on matters perlish at the Irish Web Tech Conference in Feb.
Perl seems to have a pretty low profile in web development in Ireland,
so I certainly won't be preaching to the converted - assuming anyone
turns up to my session!

Anyway, just yesterday for research I asked a mailing list of irish web
development (more or less) folk for their opinions of perl, good or bad.

I'm still collecting their replies, which I'll summarize for them and us.
The general perception doesn't seem far off "going the way of the dinosaur".

Meanwhile, one included a link to a site I'd not seen before:

    The TIOBE Programming Community index gives an indication of the
    popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month.
    The ratings are based on the world-wide availability of skilled
    engineers, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines
    Google, MSN, Yahoo!, and YouTube are used to calculate the ratings

  http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

It's a pity they don't offer more information about their methodology.

Interesting to see some 'hard' trend data that not just jobs[1], though.

Tim.

[1] http://use.perl.org/~Tim+Bunce/journal/35267