I did not know that.  That's definitely a thing to be aware of.

On 9/18/2018 12:37 PM, Doug Hass wrote:
Remember that if you do pay incentive pay like this (perfectly o.k. to do it) that any incentive pay likely then becomes part of the hourly rate calculation when paying overtime.  So, your installer making $10/hour plus $100 in incentives who works 45 hours in a week is actually being paid $12.22/hour (45 x $10 + $100=$550/45=$12.22) and OT would be $18.33/hour, not $15.

For more calculations, see:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/StateandLocalGovernment/media/OT%20Examples%20final.htm

Doug

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:16 AM SmarterBroadband <li...@sbb.net <mailto:li...@sbb.net>> wrote:

    We do this.  Hourly rate is higher ($10 would not meet minimum
    wage in California…) and we pay a $35 bonus for each install if it
    meets our criterial.  Installer has to take pictures of the
    installation location, the view the radio sees, radio Asset Tag,
    wire run, wall penetration and POE location. Record signal levels
    (and SNR etc.) which must be within spec.   All necessary customer
    paperwork signed.   All installer paperwork fully completed.
    Anything not do, no bonus.   We pay the bonus the following week.

    Adam

    *From:* AF [mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com
    <mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com>] *On Behalf Of *Kurt Fankhauser
    *Sent:* Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:31 AM
    *To:* af@af.afmug.com <mailto:af@af.afmug.com>
    *Subject:* [AFMUG] Paying employees per install/service call

    I was thinking of hiring my first installer/service tech and I am
    trying to come up with a unique way to pay them that basically
    rewards effort. Has anyone ever heard of having a flat base pay of
    like $10/hour and then on top of that pay them for number of
    installs / service calls / tickets they get completed in that pay
    period? Basically it will motivate them to do more because their
    hourly rate average will increase with the more they get done.
    Thoughts?