Still taking calls this week. I went to a customer yesterday that was complaining of slow speeds. Plugged my laptop in, speedtest.net ran only at 4mb/s Speed.ui.com ran 20mb. HD Youtube videos ran at full 20mb/s It's getting really annoying that there isn't a problem, but customers think there is just because a website says so. If only we could somehow charge speedtest.net for the time that we're having to spend because of what they're telling customers.

On 1/26/2020 2:41 PM, Adam Moffett wrote:
I'm not aware of any issue like this here.

If there was a general issue like that I'd wonder if it tracks with a certain class of device and therefore maybe a software update. If it was across multiple devices, I'd assume something changed at speedtest.net, or at the speedtest.net server nearest your customers.

On 1/25/2020 11:58 AM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
Just looked back through the call logs.

This one customer I was dealing with today reported "3 megabits". I had him go to speed.ui.com and he reports 10 and 2 (his plan).

On 1/25/20 11:52 AM, Nate Burke wrote:
I've been taking calls this week across the spectrum. Warehouse WIFI With multiple controlled AP's to country house in the middle of a field. Always 4mb on the download.

On 1/25/2020 10:48 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
Also customers installing range extenders aka "boosters" which often make things worse not better. Not sure why there would be an epidemic of this all of a sudden though.

If this is a subdivision/apartment/townhome not rural, is the cable company rolling out new WiFi modem/routers or is there a new fiber company in the area?

-----Original Message-----
From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Bill Prince
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:29 AM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] WIFI and 4mb Speedtest.net

I would look at local interference. It's not unusual for there to be 6 or more WiFi access points visible; often (usually?) on the same channel.

On 1/25/2020 7:27 AM, Nate Burke wrote:
It seems I've had a slew of calls this week of people who are only
getting 4mb on downloads on speedtest.net, uploads are normal. The
only thing in common is that they are on a WIFI device. If they are
Hardwired, everything seems fine, I can't find any network issues. Tik
BW Tests are always fine. Where I can see their in House WIFI,
signal/modulation looks ok. It's always 4mb on the download. I can
watch the traffic graph, and it just flatlines at 4mb with no other
latency or packetloss.

Anyone else seen something similar?