The differing twist lengths are engineered to minimize crosstalk between
the pairs.   If all of them have the same number of twists per inch then
you will find that the same wires tend to be next to each other down the
length of the cable.   If instead you have each of them have a different
number of twists such that over the length of the cable the amount of time
each is in contact with each other tends to be more even, reducing
crosstalk.

I suspect in some cases having two separate links running through the same
cable will hurt performance because you will get crosstalk from the other
link which you may not be able to cancel out using an echo canceller.
Probably depends on the length and specifics of the link.

- Forrest