Everyone on the unlicensed side is now claiming that this was their baby, but
if you really want to do know where the influence came from - follow the
lobbying and follow the money.  Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple & Google
spent over $16 million in 1st Qtr of 2020 - this thing didn't spring up over
night and the $$$ spent on this over the last five years is astronomical.  It
took a ton of lobbying at both the FCC and Congress just to get to the Rule
Making process that started on Oct 1, 2018, and the RM garnered over 700
comments, reply comments and ex-parte filings.

The success / failure of this relies heavily on the AFC to adequately protect
both existing and new incumbents.  Standard power devices must check-in with
the AFC at least once a day.  The AFC will rely solely on ULS (per FCC
requirement) and it is widely recognized that ULS has major problems and
deficiencies - in fact, the WTB will be issuing a Public Notice reminding
licensees of their duty to ensure that their licenses are complete and
accurate.  The AFC systems must go through a testing and certification process
and this will further delay things.  Its going to take some time for all of
this before devices that require the AFC to be used.

FYI - in a letter dated January 2018, the RLAN group that includes Apple,
Broadcom, Cisco and HP projects over 958,062,017 unlicensed devices at 6 GHz.