OK here is what I learned from my brother.

You want to use the Geoid values, however you also want to make sure you
have the Geoid model loaded in to your Trimble R8 GPS. (for those not paying
attention that is a survey grade instrument with cm accuracy).

The geoid numbers are tied to the map projection you are using and they are
also tied to the GPS ground stations you are connected to 9necessary for the
cm grade accuracy). The Ellipsoid values assume that the earth is
perfectly/mathematically round. Geoid values correct for the fact that it is
not perfectly round and the reason why your GPS needs the local Geoid data
set loaded before you take readings. You do have the Geoid data for your
area loaded don't you?

For radio mobile you will want to use the Geoid height converted to meters.

Is there LIDAR data for the area in question? It might be easier just to use
a value from that. Might also be nice to convert the LIDAR to a file format
for Radio Mobile and use all that data (going to need a lot of disk space
though).

Thank you,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com