High end stuff. I never trust any consumer grade GPS device altitude readings.
I have seen them off by as much as 300 to 400 feet. High end GPS devices rely
on either a real time data link to ground reference stations or they post
process the data back at the office. This is a process where you time sync your
data with the ground reference stations, calculate the timing difference based
on your location distance from the ground control points. The ground control
points have a known coordinate and altitude. They then compare the GPS readings
at their point for those time reference points you process against. They
calculate the correction factor from the GPS against the known point, then also
correct your data based on the distance/time from the ground station and
correct your data. For older GPS units you sometimes had to occupy a point for
a longer period of time based on your distances from the control points.

High end GPS units can also do RTK or real time kinematic data collection. This
is done by either having a GPS base station controller that is real time data
linked to ground control stations or that the rover unit has the real time data
connectivity. They do all the above processing steps in real time, no post
processing after the field work is done. Depending on the equipment and setup,
there are time requirements to have the instrument on point to achieve the
desired level of precision. Depending on the type of work, faster systems are
desired when you are doing things like having to stand in traffic to map every
manhole and gas valve. Other uses that are slower can be fine if you can leave
it on a tri-pod or bi-pod for 30 seconds or longer. Slower systems are
preferred by workers getting paid prevailing wages ;-)

Thank you,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com