From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Mark Radabaugh
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 6:57 AM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] 450i/450m DFS false detect problem solved in later
firmware?

Forrest,

As usual there are probably multiple issues going on.   We have seen an
increase in the number of DFS hits recently, and we also have a lot of
Packetflux timing equipment on the network.  I have noticed that DFS hits tend
to be worse in ‘unusual’ hot weather conditions.   And we have certainly seen a
pretty unusual heat wave over the last few weeks.  I’m not sure if this is just
heat changing sensitivity of the DFS detections (temperature is involved in the
RF calibration), if there is more reflection off the ionosphere in these
weather conditions, or if the weather radar systems are just really jacking up
power looking for storms.

As far as timing - I do think there is some timing instability going on but I
can’t pin it down to anything specific.   We continue to struggle with
RackInjectors losing the GPS timing signal from the Syncbox Basic during or
after storm events.   Typical symptom in the RackInjector fails to see sync
from the syncbox and the AP’s go into freerun.  Sat’s in view, etc. all look
normal, just no pulses.  Sometimes a power cycle from the RackInjector will fix
it, sometimes physically unplugging it will fix it, and sometimes you just have
to wait.   I have instructed the field crews multiple times to make absolutely
sure they screw in every screw tight on the syncbox but I’m not 100% sure they
are doing that.   I have seen at least one come back to the shop with evidence
of water damage to the GPS board at the top.   I would really like to see the
extra step of conformal coating on the boards if there isn’t a reliable way of
keeping water off of them.

We have also been seeing an unusual number of LBT issues with the 3.65 gear
which I believe are related to other AP’s drifting or briefly going off timing.

Due to the number of times we were seeing loss of sync we had to enable sync +
freerun in order to avoid session resets.   I’m not convinced that we are not
still seeing timing jumps due to the sequence of loss of sync, into freerun,
then an abrupt change in framing when sync comes back.   Any time something
like that happens it tends to cause a wave of DFS and LBT events across the
network.   I can’t necessarily show anything specific at this point though.
We do get a lot of archived and searchable logging from our Sumologic syslog
server.   I’m going to ask the NOC to put together a report of AP’s reporting
timing recovery and any correlation with DFS or LBT events within a 60 second
window and see what we get.

Mark

On Jul 13, 2020, at 3:19 AM, Forrest Christian (List Account)