You bring up a few fair, and known, points.  I'll respond to at least a few
of them:

In relation to the water ingress, we've seen enough of these to know it's
at least an occasional issue.  Especially in hotter climates, one thing
we've seen is the gasket cracking in the enclosure.  I'm also not
completely convinced this isn't a water condensation/surface moisture issue
in damper climates.   Our enclosure manufacture just switched the gasketing
material, perhaps as a result of our whining, to something different.
 I've also looked at various alternatives for enclosures but haven't found
the right one yet.   I thought I had one which would have been perfect,
until I got the $50 per unit quote in quantity.  Some days I miss the
pipes, but it was time for them to go from a mostly marketing perspective.

I've also looked at the conformal coating in the past, and the challenge
has been that the GPS module manufacture has told us this is a no-no since
it apparently changes the tuning of the GPS patch antenna.   I probably
need to re-evaluate this now that there's a different patch antenna on the
new modules - but I expect a similar answer.

For the past couple of years, I've been trying to move to a module flat on
the board and then either using a PCB antenna like is used in devices like
cell phones, where the antenna's pattern is such that mounting it flat on
vertically oriented PCB results in a vertical pattern like the patch has.
This should solve the water getting on the antenna issue, as there won't be
anything directly below the seam to leak on.    The holdup has been me
trying to possibly move to a module with a different GPS chipset at the
same time, hoping that this would be better than our existing module.
 With all the warts (some of which will be described below), I'm finding
that the modules/chipset that we're using is actually not that bad in
comparison to some others.    I even have had an eval of a 'timing grade'
gps receiver here, which had more failures than the non-timing-grade ones
we're using.  I have a few more to qualify, but look for this change in
coming months assuming I can find a suitable module and antenna which works.

In relation to the random timing loss of lock, I am not going to disagree
with you at all.   I suspect some of this might be leftovers from the
GPS+GLONASS issue from the end of the year which seems to have resolved
itself for the most part, but I know enough about that bug that it wouldn't
shock me to find that there are still lingering issues.   The problem here
is that although it 'feels' like there might be more issues, I don't have
quantifiable numbers.    With all of that in mind, I'm currently working on
in-field upgrade procedures for upgrading the firmware for these modules to
get them the GLONASS fix.  This seems to be a more troublesome problem than
it should be, since it's just an issue of getting the right firmware - the
problem being that the company who built the firmware for these got gobbled
and the successor company tends to be more difficult to work with.  I have
firmware which does work on the modules, it just isn't an official build by
the manufacturer.

Around the end of the year, we did switch our basics to a newer module,
based on the same chipset.   The Basics shipped since then default to
GPS+GALILEO.   Recently we've been using this module in Aux Port and
Deluxes, but with GPS+GLONASS+Fixed-Glonass firmware since the Cambium
firmware doesn't understand (yet) the Galileo sentences.   So anything you
get from us today has this latest chipset in it, and has the GLONASS fix
even if it isn't enabled.   I will say that testing and in-field reports
indicates this is even more stable, not sure how much of it is because of
the increased antenna gain, and how much of it is due to the updated
firmware, or how much is just a side effect of having a lot more of the
older units in the field having customers report problems on.   I know at
least some of it is measurable on the bench here, so it isn't all based on
field reports.  The only downside so far is that we do see an uptick in
DoA's (but still well under 1%).  Frustratingly, the DoA's we've gotten
back have somehow resurrected themselves between the field and here, but
thankfully there doesn't seem to be any increased in-field failures that we
can see other than the DoA's.

To Eric's point about the holdover timer..    I understand the CTM2's had
this functionality built in.  Nothing else I'm aware of has had that except
for some our early GPS modules which just produced a pulse no matter what,
and when it could align it it would.   This was good in the early days, not
so much nowadays.

I'm looking at a couple options to implement a holdover.   First of all,
assuming the docs are correct, I can tell the GPS modules to produce sync
all the time, or only when they have a 2D lock, or when they have a 3d
lock.   Sync all the time can be bad.   Especially if you're not monitoring
lock status, since it means that a GPS can be out of lock but producing
sync pulses which are wildly wrong, causing all sorts of issues.   2d lock
can be bad too since it shares similar issues.   As a result, the modules
default to '3d lock'.   I've been toying with doing something dynamic in
the rackinjector where it is able to dynamically changes the mode, so it
waits until you get 3d lock, and then since it should have a good position,
switches to '2d lock' mode, or maybe even freerun.   At the bare minimum, I
probably will allow customers to change the setting statically if they're
willing to deal with the ramifications.

I have some other ideas I'm cooking up as well, just don't want to say too
much until I'm actually a bit farther down the path.

- Forrest