Since this doesn't really reply to anyone's specific points, I figured I'd
just post this separately in the thread.

I've recently realized that pretty much all of the conflicts we see are
where two sides 'rights' come in conflict with each other.

Back before there were rules, I'm sure there was one group that thought
killing other humans was just fine and it was their right.  Another group
just wanted to live their lives without being worried about being killed by
other humans, and it was their right to do so.   When those groups came in
conflict their 'rights' didn't match so a rule had to be made - in this
case, 'the right to live is more important than the right to kill others'.
 So we now have laws against murdering others.

What I think people miss is that 'rights' are really nothing but a
construction of societal norms and laws built up over years.   You have the
right to not be killed (life).   But it could have just as easily been "you
have a right to kill anything you want, including other humans".   Of
course, I have a feeling that a society with that as a right might not have
a long lifecycle...

As time has progressed, more and more things have moved into the realm of
'rights'.   Right to free speech, right to peacefully assemble, and so on.

In our current situation, there seem to be several 'rights' being fought
over right now.   Whether my desire to not wear a mask is more important
than the desire of society to reduce the transmission of a virus.   Whether
the color of your skin should determine if you are more or less likely to
be shot or abused by a police officer in some areas.    And on and on and
on.

If you look at the civil rights movement, a lot of the protests (peaceful
or violent) came about where 'rights' were in conflict.   For example,
the rights of black people to be non-segregated vs the rights of the white
people to not want black people to share their facilities/businesses.   At
some point, there is going to be conflict and disagreement.   In an ideal
society, one would hope that you could come to an agreement that both sides
would at least be equally unhappy about without resorting to protests and
civil disobedience.   But when you're the party who's perceived rights are
being trampled on, it's kinda hard to get the people who are doing the
trampling to listen, since you'd end up trampling on their rights if things
changed.   In this circumstance, often some sort of protest or refusal to
go along with the societal norms is unfortunately needed to bring the topic
up to the light.  Thus you saw the lunch counter sit-ins and the freedom
riders and similar.

The ignition for a lot of the current events seems to be the George Floyd
death.  This is obviously a conflict between the perceived rights the
police officers believed they had, and the right of a black man to not be
killed at the hands of those officers.  And obviously, this has been
bubbling under the surface for some time.   There are a lot of these types
of conflicts going on right now... one doesn't have to look very far to
find some.

I think to bring this back to another point of this discussion made by
others, it seems like a lot of this country has lost the ability to stop
and listen to both sides to understand what 'right' it is that the other
side thinks is more important than your right you're not happy with being
curtailed.    And to come to some sort of reasonable agreement.