Some of the most successful people are those who learn from their mistakes.
But admitting you’re wrong does not seem to be a natural human trait.

And it’s unrealistic to expect everything to be resolved by compromise.  If a
store has a sign “no shirt, no shoes, no service”, do you compromise?  Yes, by
going to a different store.

The whole thing about not thinking it was a mistake because it was resolved by
force is interesting.  Slavery and racism aside, as a person who grew up in the
north, I’ve never understood why some people seem to reject the idea that the
Confederacy lost the war and the issue is settled.

Germany didn’t accept the outcome of WWI, but both Germany and Japan seem to
have accepted they lost WWII and the issue was settled.  At least until
recently, with a resurgence of neo Nazis in Germany among later generations.
Is it that way with wanting to reject or revisit the outcome of the Civil War?
I don’t feel like it’s just a recent thing.  40 years ago I would visit certain
states and get the feeling the Civil War was viewed as just a temporary
setback.  And in Texas, sometimes I got the feeling that statehood was viewed
as a trial period and they might call the whole thing off.