I had a telco central office get a bad crimp on the neutral drop to the utility transformer. This caused the neutral voltage to float somewhat. So half the circuits had a higher than 120 volt voltage to neutral and the other half were low voltage. Was puzzling at first. It would come and go. Heavy loads were in effect connected to the floating neutral providing the other side of the 220 to a bunch of other loads.

The power company did not want to believe it. It was not smoking or arcing but I finally proved it with a voltmeter probing the actual aerial neutral in the triplex.

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Radabaugh
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 10:53 AM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Aviat power supplies and exploding power strips

Get a meter and verify voltage line to neutral, line to ground, neutral to ground. If you have access to the panel check the 240 line to line, and verify that the two legs are ~120 to both ground and neutral. If all those check out you should be good. There are some other truly weird creations where the phasing between lines can be odd but those are very hard to create.

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex
22690 Pemberville Rd
Luckey, OH 43443