Title: Re: [AFMUG] Mikrotik 1072 Frustrations

For example something like this running CHR on VMWARE.  I would think I could use this as a BGP router and it should handle 10G of traffic.

1 port to my upstream, 1 port to my main switch, 1 port to my iBGP switch.  Use one of the GigE ports as the VMWARE management port.

$800, may add a few bucks to put a small SSD in there instead of the HDD.  Looks like it even has an expansion slot where I could put in a quad sfp+ card for another 4 ports if
needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-R620-24-Core-Server-2x-E5-2697-v2-2-7GHz-32GB-4x-600GB-SAS-H710-4-Bay/193815442460?hash=item2d204cf41c:m:mLM5ffaBe5juvwx9f6bW8Hg
--
Best regards,
Mark

Myakka Technologies, Inc.
www.Myakka.com

------

Steven,

I have thought about this also, you can get some nice dell servers with some powerful CPUs in them fairly cheap.  If you go the CHR route using VMware, all you have to worry about is the VMware compatibly which is very well documented.  I use some quad SFP+ in my older MAXX routers that seem to work fine.  Not sure if the 1U units can handle 2 IO cards

--
Best regards,
Mark

Myakka Technologies, Inc.
www.Myakka.com

------

I've considered this too as a temporary measure because I can get some off lease well maintained Dell servers for peanuts.  Problem is finding the right cards when you need 8 sfp+ ports.

STEVEN KENNEY
DIRECTOR OF GLOBAL CONNECTIVITY & CONTINUITY A: 158 Erie St. N | Leamington ON
E: st...@wavedirect.org | P: 519-737-9283