Some people might drive 10 miles to get a wifi signal, but some people barely have the motivation to get out of bed and take a shower.

On 2/24/2021 8:38 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
This got me thinking. What do you think the public's tolerance would be for full throated protection if it came at the cost of inconvenience, like you have to verify your identity to reset a password, but that also means a malicious actor would have to do the same. If one of the steps required human interaction, like going to a bank, or the dmv (never the dmv) or any authorized identity verification location. Almost every jail and police department in every podunk town has digital fingerprinting now. Most larger towns have businesses whose sole purpose is fingerprinting people. There are tons of ways to verify identity in person on top of the digital mechanisms attached to Nexus.

Would the inconvenience force people to become more proactive to avoid the inconvenience, like actually use a legitimate password manager and 2FA? Would they maybe not click every link they see?

I think its obvious that adoption, if voluntary would be virtually nil. But what if the big 3 apple, Google and facebook implemented it? Noting that those three also are the verification medium for a large percentage of everything else.

It's a matter of time until identity theft is a multitrillion dollar industry, the vast majority is rooted in convenience over security. I can see even republicans backing funding for this type of thing considering the cost is going to be much less than the recovery costs of id theft

People will drive 10 miles to get a wifi signal for facebook, it's really not outside the realm of reason for this to be a feasible process.

Can this idea be patented?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021, 1:13 PM Seth Mattinen <se...@rollernet.us <mailto:se...@rollernet.us>> wrote:

    On 2/24/21 06:17, Mark - Myakka Technologies wrote:
    > Well she got back in with help from my son.  Still not sure what
    the
    > deal was.  Guess I'll have to start looking at 1Password or
    LastPassword.

    Facebook actually supports decent 2FA options like TOTP and FIDO
    (i.e.
    yubikey) for 2FA. I'd recommend enabling one of those.